Tuesday, October 16

Wednesday, October 16th, 2002

What I thought was going to be just another Fall day at the farm turned quickly into the most traumatic days of my life.

I had been out chisel plowing in the field all day and brought my tractor into the farm yard to park it and call it a day. I happened to notice the door to the indoor riding barn was opened. Of course I knew it meant that my brother was once again working with Sensation, a two-year old horse, training it to become broke to ride. I decided to see how it was going and made my way to the arena. Upon entering I noticed my son was already there observing and admiring his uncle and the work he was doing with the horse. The saddle was still on and I could tell by the sweat on the horse that he had already ridden him awhile. My brother, Shane, asked if I wanted to get on Sensation. He said he’s nice and smooth and that he was probably wore down enough that I wouldn’t have to worry about anything. I told him no, as I’ve never been one to enjoy getting on a young horse with very little riding time on it. Nevertheless, when Shane said that Sensation had never bucked, ever, and he would guarantee that he wouldn’t this time either, I began to entertain the thought of getting on. Then, when Shane made the comment about being the only brave one I knew I had to give it a shot.

We led the horse out to the middle of the arena. Kale stayed back by the front of the barn, but still in perfect sight. Shane said he would hold the horse up by the bridle as I got on. With the reins in my left hand I lifted my left boot up to the stirrup. I began to swing my right foot up and over...... and that’s all I remember about what actually happened.


Shane and I later discussed what we both remembered and came up with this. As I was about to swing my leg over Sensation took two steps back and then stumbled. This made me lose my balance and go right up and over. Since I still had the reins in my hand I basically pulled the off-balance horse right down on top of me. I didn’t land flat on my back though. I was a little on my side which is possibly why so much damage happened.

I do remember the horse falling down on me, right at my waist level. The feeling I felt inside is indescribable. I knew something happened inside my body. The horse tried to get up but being all four of its legs were sticking straight out it basically rolled right back down on me again to re-position its legs to get leverage. Again, I had that indescribable feeling inside. This time the horse was able to stand up and trot away.

As I laid there with horrible pain I could hear Kale screaming at what he had just witnessed. My brother was right by my side immediately. The first thing I did was wiggle my toes to make sure I wasn’t paralyzed. I was able to do that but I couldn’t move my legs or any lower part of my body. I knew something was seriously wrong.





to be continued till next week............






15 comments:

Tracy said...

Amy-

MY GOODNESS!!! I certainly hope that you are okay. I really have to wait until next week to see what happened? I can't imagine what you are going through. Oh.My. Okay...I am leaving you with a ~~~HUG~~~

Tracy said...

Okay...so I got on the phone to call Kerrie and tell her all about this post. As I was clicking back to read it...Yeah, I am a dork. I didn't see that this happened in 2002! yeah, I guess I am not one for details this morning.

~ Amy ~ said...

Sorry Tracy, didn't mean to do that to you! I thought I had it in big enough font. But thanks for being so concerned.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

You have a way with story-telling. I felt like I was there watching it happen right along with Kale.

Dawn said...

I only knew you got thrown off a horse, never heard the exact details. What a scary thing to go through, and poor little Kale seeing Mom get hurt. I think I'd still be holding that over Shane's head (whatever you want from him for Christmas, right)! Just kidding, I know he felt terrible that this happened to you.

But you are heartless, making everybody wait til next week for the rest of the story!

Jen said...

I remember hearing this when it happened but never knew the whole story. Seriously, NEXT WEEK? What about tomorrow?

Lori said...

I was thinking this just happened too.
I'll be watching for the rest of the story.

Anonymous said...

If I had never read the first couple of comments, I never would have gotten the 2002, either. hehehehe...

Oh my goodness, though. I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the rest of the story!!!

Kerrie said...

Amy! You should be ashamed of yourself. You scared Tracy to death! ;)

Seriously, thank God you're around to tell this story. It sounds bad!

Andrea said...

The suspense is killing us....

Next week! Really???

Momma Roar said...

I know this is something you've wanted to write out and I'm so glad you've found the strength to do it Amy. I look forward to reading the rest of the story - but only as you are able.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

seriously people...that might be boderline INSANE if she had a tragic experience (leaving her lying in pain) YESTERDAY.... and wrote about it today. that would be a dedicated blogger, i tell you what!

now to you amy:0)-
i am sure that just by re-telling it, you are faced with many of the same fears and pain you experienced that day... but God is faithful and with time He is able to heal all our wounds. very curious to hear the rest.

Amanda said...

wow - you're lucky to be in one peace girl!

Just Mom said...

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGG!


NEED. REST OF STORY. NOW.

Michelle said...

AHH, the suspense is killing me. Next week? I'll TRY to be patient.