Wednesday, August 22

1st Day of School

As members of the class of 2017 and 2019 boarded the bus this morning I had tears in my eyes. For some reason it seems like when the first day of school comes around its the day that the kids actually get older. Never mind when their birthday is, it's this day that makes them seem more grown up than any other. The day they're expected to be more independent and more responsible. Yeah, I'm okay with it - I guess I have to be. It's just the reality of it all hits me on this day. Like the years before, I will pray over them both everyday before they leave. I will ask God to watch over and protect them on the bus and at the school. I will ask God to help Kale to be a good friend, a nice gentlemen, and a great student. I will ask God to help Nikia to be a good friend, a nice young lady, and a great student. They may not be under my roof where I can watch over them, but God will be there with them and for them.


It's this time of year when.... I'm looking forward to seeing the big yellow bus roll into the driveway and seeing the kids run up the driveway at the end of the day. I'm not looking forward to sending the kids to bed early on school nights, or the time spent sitting at the table doing homework. I am looking forward to decorating my fridge with the drawings, artwork, and paintings. I'm not looking forward to my little helpers being gone all day. I am looking forward to the trips to town by myself. I'm not looking forward to the money I'll need to fork out for lunches, activity tickets, pictures, and milk tickets. I am looking forward to seeing the progress the kids make throughout the year. I'm not looking forward to seeing some of the influences of other kids that rub off on mine. I am looking forward to being the one that sends them off in the morning and welcomes them home every day.


14 comments:

Jen said...

Wtn. starts tomorrow. We went to the open house last night and the whole time I was thinking about Brooklyn's first day of preschool. Then my mom had to point out in 2 years Cooper will be in Kindergarten. Gee, thanks. I don't like the fact that my babies are growing up yet I love every stage of life and can't wait to see what the future holds. Hope they have a wonderful first day of school.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

You're right Amy...they just seem older when they start that first day of school even tho it's not their birthday. I had mixed feeling sending mine off this morning too. I do like having my "helpers" around, as you put it. It does cost a fortune too...seems like I am always sending money with them for something!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

it will be all i can do to hold my tears to the car ride home after dropping them off... all the same prayers as you for them.

Tamara B. said...

You put all my thoughts about when my girls start school into words. I know I'll feel the same way. I just don't know what I'll do with all my free time.

Hope they have a good first day, and I hope you do, too.

Teresa said...

I love your thoughts on the first day of school. There are so many emotions that go along with today. I already have Brylie back home with me and am counting the hours until we can go back and get Hunter. I can't even imagine how all day, every day will be! I won't think about that yet!
Hope Kale and Nikia have a great day!

Tracy said...

Oh WOW! Now that is reality right there my friend. I agree totally! I am saddened as I think about taking Dawson on Friday. I just pray that HE is okay. Nevermind me...I hope that he has FUN!

Lori said...

Great thoughts as you are sending your kids off to school.
I too think lots of those same things.

Good luck to you all as your new school year starts.

Just Mom said...

Here's to a wonderful school year.

Kerrie said...

You're such a great mom. Do you hear that often enough? I hope so, because you are.

Susan said...

Neat way you did the pro's & con's. I love it that you send your 2 precious ones off each day covered by prayer. What blessed children to have you for a mother.
Susan

Anonymous said...

You make me think back to all those years of sending my 3 off to school. Amen to what Susan said! Hope the kids have a great day and loads to share when they come home.

Momma Roar said...

What a great picture Amy! I'm thinking of all of you as you send your children to school this week - here's to a great school year!!

Anonymous said...

AMY!! wow ur so great on putting all ur emotions on the horse deal!! its so good that u are able to do then now!! and i can remeber when val or trayce came to get us and headed to the hospital..and u three kids woundering what was going on?? im so glas u are able to play basketball with me ..and ride horse with me now!! i love u so much Amy!!!

Anonymous said...

sorry bout the spelling oops im in class right now:::::::::) so shhhhh!! luv ya