Friday, September 14

Silage 101

Thought I'd give you the low-down, the scoop, the 411 on the art of Silage. Since I just happen to have by camera with me yesterday I took some pictures to help capture the whole process. Now, I realize some of you already know how this works, but I'm sure there are a few of you that don't. Also, I'm posting on this subject because I have nothing else to write about and so this is all you're going to get out of me today. So, turn back now or hang with me for a couple of minutes.



Where do I begin...




First of all we start with corn stalks that have matured fully and are just beginning to dry down.




Second, we have the tractor which is pulling the cutter which is pulling the wagon.





The cutter feeds in two rows of corn at a time and basically slices and dices the whole corn plant into tiny pieces about the size of a kernal. You can see in the picture above just how clean of a cut it makes. There's only about six inches of the stalk left on the ground.







The cutter than blows the choppings into the wagon.





Once the wagon is full, the truck pulls up right next to the wagon. Literally, it is within inches of the wagon. The wagon lifts up and dumps the load onto the truck.















The truck then races through the field and heads to the pile where it unloads. It is necessary to go quickly so that the cutter doesn't have to wait to dump its next load. There is no sluffing off when you're driving the truck. (except when you're taking pictures for blogging purposes, despite the cross looks you may get from the boss)


When the truck reaches the pile the box is raised up and the silage pours out the back.










After the box is empty and lowered back down, the truck heads back through the field for the next load.

At the pile, the silage is pushed up on the pile and then drove over back and forth several, SEVERAL times with a loader tractor to pack it all down. It must be packed hard otherwise it will spoil and rot.




















We cut 85 loads this year and finished in two days. With the bountifull hay crop we're hoping it'll be enough to keep the cows full all winter. My Dad drives the tractor pulling the cutter and wagon and my brother drives the tractor packing at the pile. I'm the truck driver that's rushing back and forth constantly from the field to the pile. It definately makes for a LONG couple of days.


So, now you know the whole process as it happens on our farm. Yes, for tens of thousands of dollars we could upgrade and get newer cutters and wagons - but for the two days out of the year that we use them, our 35 year old cutter and 20 year old wagon will do. Some day, some year, they'll probably get too old and tired for the job, but for now it all seems to work just fine.

19 comments:

kdwhorses said...

Oh my you all have busy! I am glad you got it all done. I love it about taking the pics for blogger purposes! I am sure your "boss" loved that!! No, you defintely can not be slouching when you working with silage or hay! When we do hay, we just finished up, you go, go, go.
Thanks for sharing! Have a great day!

Momma Roar said...

This was great Amy! I've seen it done around here, but never saw the silage up close (and personal, lol)

I'll have to see if I can get some pictures of the amish farms and how they do. Then you'll feel like you already have the upgrade!!

Have a great weekend!

Just Mom said...

This post is fabulous! I wanted to teach my son about farmers and farm life. He's going to love seeing the photos.

Thanks, Amy!

BTW ... You sure do work hard.

Susan said...

This city girl very much appreciated this lesson!! The life you and Chris lead is so different from mine and I admire you so for the hard work you do!
Susan

Anonymous said...

So incredible. I've driven by and glanced at the process, but had no real idea of what was going on. Now next time I will be thinking of you!

Jane said...

that cutter has not even been used for two and a half months during it's entire life...farm equipment is not the family car. I love post like this...it takes me back to my parents farm in Ohio. Not NEAR as big as yours, but I can smell the hay as I am typing!

Love the red tractors!!!

Lori said...

Looks like you are very busy.
My dad and brother are busy doing the same.

Rita Loca said...

This is amazing to me as I know nothing about this.

Jen said...

I never understood the process so thanks for sharing!!! I love learning about peoples lives that are so different from mine!!!

Christie Belle said...

Whew, that looks like quite a job! 85 loads in 2 days, y'all rock! I don't know about all this too much, but it sounds like you guys are really hard workers and really driven to get all of that done in 2 days! Quite the process!

Tamara B. said...

Thanks for the lesson. I'm a city girl who married a SD farm boy. So, now I can impress him on my new found knowledge. He thinks I don't know anything about farms, so any thing I can learn is helpful. :o)

Tracy said...

L*O*L about getting cross looks from the boss!! Doesn't he appreciate the blog world?? Just kidding! Thanks for the lesson. I had no idea a tractor had to go over the stuff so it doesn't rot and spoil. How do you like my termanology?? (I don't even know how to spell that). HA!

Anonymous said...

Great narrative Amy!

Amanda said...

Did we cover what the silage is used for? I will have to show Alex this post so he can learn a little about farming as well!

Momma Roar said...

Me again!! Stop by when you get a chance - I have something waiting for ya!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Isn't it such a relief to get the silage cutting don??!! Just before the frost and rain too!

Jen said...

I know you are really busy but I nominated you for an award on my blog. Check it out!!!

Michelle said...

I have been intending to e-mail Frazzled Farm Wife and ask her exactly what silage is. Then I decided to check out all her blog reads. I found what I needed!

My boys and I were driving in the country and they smelled something. I told them it smelled a lot like fresh cut silage. Sure enough, I was right! Then they asked me exactly what it was..."UH...I think it is chopped up corn stalks?"...we didn't farm much or raise cattle, so I had no idea.

Thanks for the info, we will use it in our school today, pictures and all. (I can't wait to read more of your posts when I get some extra time.)

Heather K said...

hey this is a real interesting post Amy! You guys have been awfully busy..that's alot of loads and alot of driving! But it must feel good to get it all over and finished with!