Thursday, September 20


We have a wonderful family that has taken some of our kitties off our hands this summer. Due to a few mishaps they were requesting a few more. You can see how helpful this has been, as there is no more room at the milk dish. And it just so happens I refuse to get a bigger dish. :)

So, a few days back when I noticed that our mama calico cat's belly was beginning to get large and lumpy, I talked to our friend about the opportunity of taking a cat that was pregnant. She thought this would be a good idea. I talked to Trevor about it and of course he said "get rid of it". So, yesterday I gave our friend a jingle to see if I could bring Patches over and she said that I could any time today. Imagine my excitement of getting rid of a whole batch of kitties, although, not as thrilled about getting rid of Patches. She's been a really good cat - just a little too fertile.
Yesterday afternoon I realized I hadn't seen Patches much and this made me very nervous. Last night when we got home from church I see Patches and I immediately start to inspect her because she does NOT look nearly as poochy as she had. I even asked Kale for a second opinion - in case my eyes were playing tricks on me. He agreed and thought she looked pretty skinny. We proceeded to carry all the groceries in the house and put them away, making me forget about investigating it further.
This morning before the kids headed down the driveway to wait for the bus I asked Kale to make a quick run-through of the barn to look for a litter of kitties. To the pain of my ears, he came running out shouting "she had them, there's five baby kitties".

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me??? Could her timing be any worse! Ridiculously, I knew I believed Kale but for some reason I had to see it for myself. Yep, there was Patches, the good mama that she is nursing not five but SIX kitties. 3 black, 1 calico, 1 orange, and 1 white.


Look at her - she's looking at me like "WHAT? What did I do wrong?"


Knowing that there's no way I'm going to move brand new kitties to a brand new home I grudgingly made the call to our friend. I told her the news and told her the number in the litter - of course I had my fingers crossed hoping she'd still want all of them. It sounds like she will still take them all, which is so nice since they have other kitties already. We decided that in about 5 weeks we'd try to make the transfer again.


So, for the time being, Patches and her new family still call this place home sweet home.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, I'm not into cats at all...well except for the one I call my baby. I saw a baby kitten for the first time a week ago. I fell in love with it. If my old cat was not so old I would have taken the kitten home with me. I think my cat would die from fright.

Jenna would melt at the sight of the kittens. She came so close to having to put her Sunnybunny down when she moved back home, but just in time someone took her.

They sure are cute!

Susan said...

Love the top picture with all the kittens around the bowl.

The story of patches and her birthing made me smile. I know it didn't make you smile.
Susan

Tamara B. said...

Oh, how could you not just fall in love with all those cute furry faces? :0) I love cats, but I think of them as family and my hubby, believes they should stay outside. So far I've won out. But, my cat is a fixed 12 year old cat, whose never been outside. I think if/when she goes, we'll get another, but it will be an indoor/outdoor version. We'll see if I can win that one, too. :0)

Jen said...

Oh Brooklyn would love a kitty but Craig is allergic to them. What timing!!!!

Tracy said...

I think kitties are SOOOOO cute! But haven't had one since childhood. Love the picture of Patches. She's like...WOMEN, leave me to my business. HA! Love it!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

What a good friend to take a mamma and 6 babies off your hands. I am sure you will still have more babies running around yet this fall or next spring!

Kerrie said...

I agree with Tracy. Patches looks like "Hey - a little privacy would be nice!"

sharon brobst said...

Amy I just stopped by from Ginger's blog. I've enjoyed my visit, especially the corn fields, tractor, wagon...it reminded my of when I was younger growing up in the farmlands of Ind.

Blessings,

kdwhorses said...

How sweet, love the pics! I understand what your'e saying about cats, that is why we only have males! (per husband's request of course!) The only female I had, I had her spayed and then she was killed. :( I do love having cats around the barn, they are a must! I hope all goes well in a couple of weeks!

Rita Loca said...

I love Kitties!

Michelle said...

I don't think patches wants to move!

We had a cat that had babies in our house twice! She wasn't a house cat. She was notorious for sneaking in and I'm sure she willed herself to go into labor once she got in. It was pretty disgusting...both times!

Heather K said...

I think Patches must have been listening in to your conversation with your friend and figured she'd better get busy and birth those babies if she wanted to stay around on the farm with y'all!!