Friday, June 1

Who Are You, And What Have You Done With My Children?

We've had so much rain lately that it's been hard to keep up with the mowing. The other day we finally had a break from the rain and the sun was shining so I sent Kale out to begin the task of getting the whole yard mowed before the clouds came back. It takes about 3 hours (non-stop) with a riding lawn mower to finish our yard. He was such a trooper and only took two breaks. One for lunch and one for a much deserved popsicle. I was going to take over but he never complained or seemed to get tired of it.

I was so proud of him for getting the job done so quickly. I told him that Pirates of the Caribbean was on t.v. if he wanted to watch it. He loves that movie and hurried into the house to watch it. He only watched about 15 minutes of it and then came and asked me if there was anything else he could do for me outside. WHAT??? He wants more work? Ummm, okay. I told him there was some piles of old straw/hay in the goat pen along with a couple piles of sticks and branches that he could pick up and haul to our dump. He simply said "alright" and got to work. Again, no complaints, and he finished that job too (this time with a little help from his sister). She didn't have any complaints about the task either.

That same morning, Nikia asked if she could dust for me. Ummm, of course you can. She was walking around dusting and singing away. This can't be normal. Kids enjoying work?

Yesterday, I explained to Kale that for one of his summer chores I would like him to clean the toilet in his bathroom once a week. I have shown him how to do this before and he was thrilled to learn (go figure). So yesterday, with no hesitation he got the job done and then came and asked me what I use to clean the mirror in the bathroom. Again, he's wanting to do more work.

Wait just a minute! What is going on here? I promise, I don't threaten them, or bribe them, or run any type of sweat shop. I'm just simply wondering who took my kids and what did they do with them. My kids are usually really good workers but I usually hear some griping and wining about the chores they're having to do. Hmmmm, what are they up to? They must want something. But what? I bet in some way or another their father is involved in this little conspiracy too.

I guess the only things I can do is consider myself extremely blessed to have such willing little workers, and make up a list of things I want done so I'll be ready for the next little volunteer.

I sure hope this lasts all summer. Yeah, right! Who am I kidding.

15 comments:

Susan said...

How great is this!!! I've put up a Guest Book on my blog. Would love for you to come sign it :o)
Susan

Jane said...

Amy... I have always said that children will model their parents. They are following in your footsteps.

And... children love structure! They WANT to feel a part of the family, have a purpose in life.

You are doing a GREAT job mommy!

And mark it on the calender just in case it does not last all summer! lol

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Kale must be growing up! Don't you just love it when they can help out with things!!! Send Nikia on over, she can dust for me too.

Heather K said...

wow! that's so nice. I love it when this happens... haven't experienced that in awhile though... When I mention chores, the room suddenly is quiet and empty!! :0) I'm sitting here wondering how I'm going to get everyone on a chore schedule and it looks like yours have done it of their own accord!! woohoo... that's awesome Amy!!
They've started their summer holidays, haven't they? Ours still have until June 21st in school.

Dawn said...

I thought I was doing good yesterday when I got my girls to do almost everything on the list I gave them, with only minor fussing. I do find they work better if I write out a list rather than saying, do this or that. Enjoy your workers while you can, and hopefully that will be the rest of the summer.

Kerrie said...

I wish we lived closer so that you could share the cleaning love. I would totally rent them if you were near. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't know how you are doing this. I used to try every trick in the book and my kids still griped and complained! No money, awards, stickers on the frig, taking away of priveledges, early bedtimes, you name it...nothing worked to ever have them just help out because they felt like just being nice.
Amy, it's time to write a book. You, my dear, are wondermom! Congratulations :)

Tracy said...

That is awesome!! I have a hard time getting my 5 year old to pick up his toys. You are doing a wonderful job!!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

GAG ME! :-) i read the title of this post and thought (wickedly), "oh gee maybe her summer isn't getting off to such a chipper start...the kids must be up to something devilish." dang you amy...what's with raising the perfect children?

:-)

Kim said...

I think I am gagging with Heidi. Nothing I do gets my kids to work, although I hear they do great at other people's homes. "Where did I go wrong?!"
Good to talk with you today-btw.

Just Mom said...

*mouth open. jaw dropping to the floor.*

Jen said...

Maybe we should all swap kids and they can clean our houses! Just kidding! That's great they did this for you but just watch out for what's coming! I bet they are buttering you up for a toy or something!! ;)

Debbie said...

Amy, I just want you to know I've been praying for Nikia every time I think about it.

Lori said...

Wonderful. What great helpers.
Mine will do that from time to time.
Most of the time I have to ask them atleast 3 times to do something.

Christie Belle said...

What sweethearts! Enjoy this, but maybe you will get lucky and it will last all summer...who knows!