Friday, May 4

Another Day on the Farm......

Warning! this may not be for those with weak stomachs.

Yesterday I saw something I haven't seen in awhile...... We had a heifer (young cow having her first calf) cow that was having problems having her calf and so after getting her in the barn Dad and Shane tried to pull the calf but it still just wasn't coming so they gave the Vet a call. The Vet (I'm trying not to be too graphic here for those with a weak stomach, just use your imagination on how they do this - it's not just fingers - it the whole hand and arm that goes in) could feel that the calf's head was twisted way back and to the side, also, by now he could tell that the calf was not alive anymore. The doc gave her an epidural to ease the cow a little (even cows get tired of labor pains). After much work trying various things to get the calf's head to the position it should be, a second Vet, with much more experience (whom we would've preferred in the first place) was called in. He tried for a while as well and decided the only next option was a C-section. Now, for those of you ladies that have had one of these, it really is quite similar except they make the incision on the cows side rather than underneath on their tummy. Could you really imagine a cow laying on her back with her feet sticking up in the air? Not going to happen! They shaved the hair on the cows side in the area about the size of a basketball, and gave her a good wash with soap and water (they try to make it as sterile as possible - even for a cow). He numbed her up in that area and then the doc begins with the knife and cuts about a 6 - 8 inch incision. That's all the farther I'll take you on that - it really is the same as surgery on a person. I'd hate to gross you out with the finer details, if I haven't already, but it was simply amazing.

Through all of this the heifer just layed their, wide awake, calm as could be. After they pulled the calf out the Doc dumped an entire bottle (about a quart) of antibiotics into the incision area (don't want a chance of infection). When the Doc was all done stitching her back up (which was about three different layers to stitch), we untied her and she stood up just as perfect as could be (well, she did look a little worn out).

We decided that since her calf was dead that we would put a different calf with her (one that had belonged to a cow that had to be sold the other day). Cows go by the scent of their calf and so to get the heifer to take this other calf we had to make it smell like her calf. Well, the easiest way to do that is to take the "afterbirth" from the dead calf and smear all over the new calf (gross and disgusting -I know - I had to hold down the calf while Shane smeared - EWWWWW). Anyways, it worked like a charm. We put the new "smelly" calf in the pen with the cow and almost 2 minutes later the calf was drinking from it's new mama. YAY! It doesn't always work that smoothly - many times a cow just won't take a different calf.

I've seen C-sections performed on cattle before - but it truly is amazing each time. I guess if you made it through all of that without losing your breakfast or your coffee - you're doing pretty good. I had honestly thought about taking some pictures for you to see, but thought some of you "city" gals just might not appreciate it so much. So, no visuals. I hope I didn't get too detailed for you, but I thought some of you would find it pretty interesting. If not, and you're totally grossed out - Sorry!

23 comments:

Lori said...

You had one interesting day!
I grew up on the farm seeing baby calves born. But I don't think I've ever seen a c-section on a cow before.

You have a wonderful weekend!

Amanda said...

HA - PICTURES!!! Wow - you’re my new supper hero for being able to watch that.
Yep - I'm a city girl! When I was younger, I seen a disassembled animal once and couldn’t eat mean without gagging. I was a vegetarian for the next seven years of my life!! It wasn't because I had some asinine belief that meat was bad...I just gagged every time I tried to eat it. I could eat eggs (even though they came out of a chickens’ butt) and drink milk...but no meat! I finally forced myself one day to eat a hamburger and have been enjoying steak since.

Since you are a country girl, you might be amazed that my son who is 6, seen a cow in person for only the 2nd time in his life yesterday. The first was at a hobby farm in St. Paul that we paid $16 to walk through.

Amanda said...

oops - I couldn't eat MEAT. Had a typo on my comment.

Tracy said...

Poor COW loosing her calf!! I couldn't imagine seeing all that happen before my very eyes. Do cows recover well from surgery??? Poor thing...

Susan said...

I'm one of the "city" gals who reads you daily and I love getting these lessons and stories. It is very interesting. I am glad you don't do the visuals--I don't think this "City Gal" could be that strong!

Just Mom said...

Wow.

I wasn't grossed out by that at all. In fact, that birthing story got me a little teary eyed. I never realized how amazing farm life can be.

By the way, thanks for not posting photos. I'm not usually squeamish (I used to watch surgery/birthing stories on TV), but my stomach has been a little unsettled this morning.

Momma Roar said...

That was fascinating! I never knew they performed c/s on animals - since I've had two, it was quite interesting. That was so amazing that you could put the calf with the momma!
I am thankful you didn't include pictures - and I'm even more thankful I chose teaching over being a veterinarian - not usre if I could have done that - but I will always love animals and I hate to see them suffer! Thanks for sharing that!

Kerrie said...

Wow, very interesting. I didn't know that about a cow (that they could 'take in' another calf). I've now had 3 c-sections and never did I hop right off the O.R. table and move on to the next thing. Great story!

Teresa said...

I clicked on your blog this morning while eating breakfast and read the warning and decided I better come back to it later! :)
When Robb and I were dating I used to love to check the cows with him and watch them give birth. One day I even helped him pull one...and I do have a really weak stomach. For some reason this process was so amazing to me that I didn't even get queasy! Birth is just an awesome thing...human or animal.

Heidi Jo Comes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jamie said...

Very interesting story! Thanks for sharing the farm life stories.

I have had a c-section and I feel for that cow! Poor thing and to lose the calf! :(

Have a nice weekend and stay dry!

Jane said...

1... can you e-mail me pics? Never saw one on our farm as a child.
3... will she be able to get pregnant again? :(
2... I nominated you TODAY for the thinking award... can't imagine what your visitors are going to think after reading your post today! LOL!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

We skin the calf sometimes and tie the skin to the new calf to try to get the cow to "adopt" it. We have found that it is easier to get a heifer to "adopt" a calf too, maybe lack of experience??!! We haven't had to do a c-section on a cow for a long time now (knock on wood).

Jennifer said...

what a neat day you had!! although I have a very weak stomach, your dictation of the day was so interesting!

Rita Loca said...

I find your life to be so fascinating! I want to see this!

We once had to turn a breech baby in utero for an indian woman as there was no c section option in the jungle. The Baby is now 9 years old and mom is well.

Jen said...

I have to say I think I would have enjoyed watching that...beings that I am going to be a nurse I hope my stomach isn't too weak..haha but surgery really does fascinate me and the miracle of birth another truly fascinating thing...even though her calf died which is very sad but it worked out in the end which is good, thanks for sharing the story! secretly (okay maybe not secretly) but anyway I personally think pictures would have been very cool and a nice touch! :D

Karenkool said...

Dang! I would have opted for pictures. Fascinating story!

Christie Belle said...

Wow! That was interesting, and I didn't lose my lunch! I think I could have handled the pictures, lol!

Heather K said...

Hi Amy
I enjoyed this post! I'd love to see pictures, but by the looks of these comments it's a GOOD thing that you didn't post any!! lol....

michelle said...

Okay this brought back memories of my college years. To set the stage I grew up in Chicago--total city girl! I spent one of our school breaks with a friend of mine in Kansas. Her dad was a vet and he got a call extrememly similar to ours. My friend asked if I wanted to go and I'll admit I am sorry I did as I witnessed first hand exactly all that you described...full arm up...dead calf...etc. I think I even tossed my cookies. It was a lot for this city girl to take in.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I was doing fine until I read frazzled farm wifes comment. I'm reading all this to my husband and we agreed that God must have made these cows this way.

I just met a young girl in our office who is learning to be a vet tech for cows. She's not a farm girl, but just loves cows. I guess someone has to do this job.

Amy, you are amazing!

Diana said...

I loved that experience you had. The way you told that story, I felt like I was there. I have an iron stomach so it would take alot to gross me out.

Jane said...

FYI... my family and I have been praying for all of ya in the "alley" this week during the storms that won't let up.