Tuesday, May 8

Hauling Pairs To Pasture

We bring up pairs from the pasture to these corrals. Sometimes we get two or three pairs at a time, and sometimes just one pair at a time.....














Once we get ten pairs (because that's all the trailer can hold per load) into the corrals then we sort off the calves from the cows. This little rascal snuck back in the pen with his mama...not for long, we shoved him under the panel........






Bringing the calves down the alley to load them into the trailer......














Once the calves are in the trailer we spray on Dectomax - aids in keeping the ticks, fleas, and lice off of them. This is Shane, Dad and my Sister-In-Law Terri, getting the spray set up.....












Oops, no picture of just the cows - but next we load up the cows into the trailer and spray them as well. Then they are hauled to their new pasture for the summer.....








Then, back down to the pasture to get more pairs. We used three 4-wheelers. Notice the mud flying behind Trevor's 4-wheeler - we had to go through this mud hole every time so naturally we (Trevor, Shane and I) would always try to plaster the others with as much mud as possible. Hey, we try to make everything we do fun!!!







Finally, after hauling around 70 pairs out, we're done.....for now. Once more cows have their calves we'll do some more hauling. (click on this picture - you can see just how speckled with mud our faces are)




It was such a beautiful day for working with the cows - not too hot, not too cold. No one got hurt, and only a couple of cows got a little feisty. I was hoping to get a picture of us all when we got done but my camera batteries died - BUMMER!. We were soooooo muddy. My hair literally had clumps of mud in it - thanks to Shane and Trevor. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that they had plenty of mud clumps on them from my 4-wheeler too. Ha Ha!!! All in all - it was a perfect day!!!

13 comments:

Jen said...

Amy-
I love to hear about your day on the farm! I love riding 4-wheelers! Glad you all had a good day and wish I could be outside more instead of trapped in my little office!!!

Lori said...

Thanks for sharing your day with us.
That is exactly(with the 4 wheelers) how my dad and brother round up there cattle too.
I'm sure it is very muddy working the cattle with the 4 wheelers.
My dad and brother commented on that very same thing, that the cattle lots were a sloppy, muddy mess.
My poor dad lost his cell phone in the muddy mess while trying to round up a calf and cow.

Jamie said...

Thanks for the sharing the photos...even though it looks like hard work it also looks like you have fun too!

Aren't 4 wheelers the best!! :)

Susan said...

So nice to see people turn really hard work into fun. Thanks for all the photos and the narrative. I love hearing about your life on the farm. Loved the pictures of the mud splashes on your faces.

Momma Roar said...

Good night girl, even with mud on your face you still take a great picture!

I enjoy your stories and pictures.

Time passes much more quickly when you can make what you're doing fun!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I just love hauling pairs to pasture! Aren't out lives great? Not glamorous as my post today explains but I wouldn't have it any other way, I just love the farm!

Anonymous said...

You guys just love life! Amazes me everytime I read.

Christie Belle said...

Wow, looks like a lot of hard work, but a lot of fun too! I'm glad y'all had such great weather for the outside work day!

Heather K said...

Sounds like fun! I have one question for you though.... A pair...is that just two cows..? or is cow and calf...?

~ Amy ~ said...

Heather - a pair is a cow and calf.

Just Mom said...

Hmmm ... looks like a perfect play area for Heidi's little guy, who, as we know from today's post, loves mud and dirt. ;-D

Tracy said...

I was going to ask the same question Heather....HA! I had no idea what a PAIR was!

Looks like you had a great time Amy!! Thanks for sharing your pictures!!

Jess said...

Who needs a truck to go mudding? Not you!!! Sounds like a great, dirty day!! Glad you had a good time.