Wednesday, April 25

Helping on the Farm...

I've been helping on the farm quite a bit this week. Shane and I tagged 19 calves on Monday. There were quite a few since we didn't tag any over the weekend. It went pretty well since we didn't have any mean mama cows to mess with. However, yesterday we encountered one mean ol girl. Shane is very brave (sometimes too brave) when it comes to these feisty beasts, and the worst part about that is that I'm riding with him on the same 4-wheeler so I have no choice but to get close to these cows.

The way we tag the calves is Shane and I are both on the same 4-wheeler and as we drive around the pasture we look for the new calves with no tags. We find their mamma's, who each have a tag with a number on it. We than make out a tag for the calf with the same number as the cow. Then the little rodeo begins. We drive up and get as close as we can and when the calf is right next to us I reach out and grab its tail and hang on for dear life. Now, as you can imagine, some of these calves can be pretty darn fast, especially if they're more than a day old. So, this little race can carry on for quite some time. Shane reaches over and tags the calf in the ear, left ear if its a heifer and right ear if it's a bull calf. It really is a lot of fun, but at times very frightening, depending on the cow.

Today, Shane and I hauled 3 cows to the sale barn and we fixed fence. It was a beautiful day and one of the pastures that we were working on is right next to a big slough. I could hear ducks, geese, and other birds constantly. Shane had to wade out into the water (it was up to his waist) to fix one part of the fence. He said it was still plenty cold. Of course I sat on the 4-wheeler and just snickered at him. He even got a shock once while he was in the water. It was kind of my fault - but funny nonetheless!

At the end of the day we tagged more calves and then had to give a sick cow a shot. We were going to chase her up to the barn but after a long time of her not cooperating with us we decided to rope her. This would have been so much easier to do while riding a horse but instead we stuck to our 4-wheelers. If anybody would have been watching us I'm sure they would have been laughing. It took us awhile to get her roped and then to give her the shot was yet another challenge. But-we got it done and neither of us got hurt.

I absolutely love being able to help out and be with my brother. It's always fun and never seems like work.

21 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow, you even make working cattle sound like fun! I'm glad you and Shane can enjoy each other's company while you work. He must not have noticed you laughing at him in the water, since he didn't drag you in too!

Lori said...

That's great Amy! It's important to enjoy what we do. It makes the days more fun!
It sounds like you had a busy day chasing down those baby calves.
I'm smiling thinking of it.
I grew up on a farm too.

Anonymous said...

It's a totally unknown world to me. I love hearing about it.

Jen said...

Amy, you are a stonger woman than me! I get scared of a dog running at me while on my morning walk. Dumb dog, its there everyday. I couldn't handle a cow charging at me! I love to listen to Craig talk about his Uncle Ron and how he would even try and tackle the buffalo he had. No way would I do that! Glad you had fun!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Hey, we tag our heifers in the left ear and bull calves in the right too (only this year Chad goofed a few times and we have 2 heifer calves with tags in their right ear). Chad and I take both 4-wheelers out and I keep the cow away while he is tagging. This is the first year we have tried this and it seems to be working great. I am glad that you have such a great time with Shane working. Chad and I do too and most people just can't believe that we love to work together like that. I think if you love your work, it makes it a lot easier.

Karenkool said...

Can I bring my family out to live on your farm for a while?? My two boys need to get a clue of what real work is!! We all do really. My husband spent a few years as a young boy living on his grandpa's dairy farm in IN. His family ran the farm while they were living there, so he's always telling stories.

Kerrie said...

When I was young we lived on a farm for a while. It didn't last long (THANK GOD). I was out counting cows with my dad when a cow started to charge me. Thankfully, my dad threw his hat at him/her (I have no idea of its gender) which made him turn right before he ran me over. I'm seriously not a farm girl at all. AT ALL! ;)

Teresa said...

I love hearing stories like this. How great that Shane has you to help out with the farm work. I, too, love to help out with the farm work. So far Robb only trusts me with the cooking. I have been trying to talk him into letting me drive the grain cart but he doesn't think it would be good on our marriage. :)

Tracy said...

I lived on a farm until I was 7 years old. Yeah, not nearly long enough to know anything about farm life except I had no friends close by. Glad you had a great time with your brother. Does he live on the same farm as you guys??

Susan said...

Wonderful, informative post for all us City Folk. Hey, girl you talked about your grandfather being a real cowboy. Well in my mind your a real cowgirl. My brother-in-law use to rope and we'd go to the rodeo's but that's been a looooong time ago. You'll have to post a picture in your cow gear work clothes.

Jane said...

Amy, I grew up on a farm... thankfully, we did the tagging differently.

First I think that the most dad ever had in one spring was 50... mom and dad at 70 and 75 still tag using a head gate. They try to bring the cow in to a smaller field a day or two before she gives birth (makes it easier than assisting in the back fields if assistance is needed.)

And they tag the calf within 48 hours.... thankfully the cow is protective and stays close to her baby. But hopefully not to protective... cause that has put dad in the hospital for more than a night or two.

The calf is run onto the scales, then to the head gate for piercing, and momma is just behind her getting her twice a year weigh in.
I am soooo glad we didn't have to rope cattle... now that is talent!

And the girls get tattooed ears since they won't be going to a freezer... so when they loose their tag, it makes is easier to confirm the sire/dam.

Makes me want to go to Ohio and work some cattle.... okay maybe not since it is warmer here and my arthritis is not good this week!

Rita Loca said...

WOW! I want to do that! On a four wheeler? Cool!

Debbie said...

I agree with Susan. You are a true cowgirl -- and a cute one! I'm in awe of you and your life, really, Amy. It's so different from mine. It's great to hear that your work with your bro is so fun; you need to have times of laughter right now.

Heather K said...

Heey.... sounds like fun Amy! I'd love to work with my brother on a farm... You guys must be pretty close!
Heather

Jamie said...

I am such a city girl that farming stories are always very interesting to me.

I am glad to hear that helping at the farm is good for you. That maybe a good way to help getting over the loss of your grandpa!

Take Care~

Tina Leigh said...

Amy sounds like fun to me....wish I could help. I'm glad to hear a little cheer in your tone. Good days & bad days, that is what life is all about but it's when you can still find joy in the middle of such a trying time...that is when you can feel GOD the most. That is the Holy Spirit being The Comforter in your life. It gives you strength for harder days to come.

Just Mom said...

Wow. I got tired just reading about all that hard work you did.

I loved your descriptions. I could almost see you in that 4-wheeler, enjoying the outdoors and spending some time with your brother. I often wondered how farmers and ranchers get their cattle tagged. You are one hard-working woman, that's for sure.

Tina said...

I agree with Karen's comment. Can my 4 boys and I come over! :):)

You are living the life of my DREAMS!

Amanda said...

What is a COW? I'm kidding - well sort of ;) My son is 6 years old and has only seen a cow in person one time when I took him to this farm thing in St. Paul. It cost us $16.00 for the two of us to walk through a barn and witness the miracle that is milking.

You go cowgirl!

Momma Roar said...

Amy - you are a strong woman and I think it is awesome that you love what you do! I really enjoyed reading about it and I hope you'll share more sometime.
We're surrounded by farms here, but I don't know much of what happens. Now a quarry - I could tell you tons about that ;-)

Diana said...

Your life is awesome!