Wednesday, April 4

Under The Weather

Kale had started to get a nasty cough two days ago. It wasn't bad enough to keep him home from school Monday or Tuesday, as he was only coughing once and awhile. BUT, last night he coughed constantly all night long. It turned into more of the croupy cough and his chest got so congested he could hardly breathe. So, at 2:30 am we bundled him up and he and Trevor sat on a chair outside in the cool air to try to loosen up the congestion. It usually takes less than ten minutes and he can breathe better. This is a little trick that my mom always used to do with me and my siblings when we were growing up. I know it sounds ridiculous but it works. The only down side to it was that when they came back in Kale was wide awake. So we watched a few cartoons and then he drifted off to sleep in the rocking chair. I let him sleep there the rest of the night. He didn't cough as much after that.

Soooo, I've got my boy home with me today. Nikia's mission at school is to get his homework for him - we'll see how well that goes. Today will probably be a day of naps, cuddling, medicine, and movies for Kale. I hate it when my kids are sick, but I love to be with them and cater to their every need. With our SPRING BLIZZARD going on - there doesn't seem like anything else to do anyways!!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little boy :( It's snowing here today. My babe is off to Chicago today for a day of shopping. It's her spring break. Seems like yesterday I was rocking her when sick. Now she is off on her own to Chicago. Praying Kale feels better soon.

Lori said...

I'm sorry to hear he isn't feeling well. I hope he feels better soon.

I've also heard of going outside for the fresh air to stop the coughing.

We are all starting to catch little colds and that isn't good.
As my brother/sister in-laws baby is due in a couple of days. We are going there for Easter. So we are really pumping the vitamins, fruit, juice and resting lots.

I blame it on this weather. It was so nice and now back to cold and rain and snow.

Jen said...

I too hate it when my kids are sick but I LOVE the snuggle time! Hope he gets better soon!

Jamie said...

I always feel so bad when kids are sick. Plus it is a great reason to cuddle with them! I hope he feels better soon!

Don't you just love this weather!

Tracy said...

I hope Kale feels better soon!! Those croupy coughs can sometimes be scary! Dawson required hospitalization once for croup. It was HORRIBLE!! Take care and have fun snuggling!!

Heather K said...

Oh No ... the weatherman was right. I'm sad to hear you have snow again! That's a great little trick to stop the coughing. I heard about it a few years back but haven't had to try it yet. Come to think of it it has been many years since one of the kids has had a bad cough like that...Wow... God is good!!! Well I hope you guys have a great day together today... I love days like that but feel bad for the child.

Teresa said...

I am doing the same thing with Brylie today. It is hard to get all the cuddling we want in with 2 very needy boys but we are managing to sneak in some cuddle time.
Hope Kale is feeling better.

kristi at everyday woman said...

I just checked out Teresa's blog and found out all three of us are home today. Booker has a cough, 103 temp and a yucky nose. I feel a little bit like I'm going crazy because I don't know how to get his cough stopped...he coughs constantly, so thanks for the tip...We're heading outside!

Kerrie said...

I hope Kale feels better soon. I agree that it's fun when they are home and you can cater to them. Makes you both feel good to get that one on one time.

Feel better Kale!

Momma Roar said...

I hope your little man is feeling better soon.
I believe your weather is coming our way - there is a possibility for snow flurries Easter morning - That'll make for a cold Sunrise Service.

Just Mom said...

:-(

Christie Belle said...

Awww, I hope he continues to feel better! I know you enjoy the one on one time though, that's so sweet:)

P.S. Thanks for the sweet words on when I become a mom, I hope I'm half as good of a mom as she is...I'd be doing good! It's good to hear about others that have such a good relationship with their mother...I know, we'd be lost without them!

Amanda said...

Hope he's feeling better soon :(

Anonymous said...

Big hug to my favorite little boy. He's tough and won't be down long. I used to take our girls outside when they were congested also. It really does work.