Sunday, February 11

Hats Off To My Honey



We had a wonderful and relaxing weekend.
I guess maybe before I tell you about the weekend I should let you know what it is that Trevor does. He is a Sales and Marketing Manager and an Agronomist. In a nut shell, he sells seed, fertilizers, and chemicals. He basically does all he can to help farmers make money and have excellent crops by studying the soil and making recommendations using tools like satellite imaging. Of course there's more to it than that, but now you get the idea. One thing that I have always admired about Trevor is that when it comes to his job, he always thinks of the farmer first and not how a sale could benefit him or for that matter how it could benefit his company. I know that God knows his heart and that's why he's been so blessed.
Okay...the weekend. Well, I guess to begin with it almost didn't happen for me. I woke up Friday morning with Nikia staring right in my face saying she had a tummy ache. Long story short...she threw-up twice with in an hour. I thought I was going to have to stay home and I held off packing till the last minute. She seemed to be okay and Mom (the babysitter for the weekend) said to just go, she'd handle it.
Friday night was the big fancy dinner. Before we headed down to eat we set the camera and snapped a picture of ourselves. We were told that they would be taking professional photos and thought that would be nice since we've never had one since our wedding. We found the location and jumped in line for that. As we got closer and could see what the photo set up would be, we saw it wasn't what we expected at all. But anyways, this is how ours turned out.

Trevor is shaking hands with the VP of Croplan. It turned out to be alright since the next day when Trevor actually received his certificate, jacket and pin I didn't have the camera. Good one, huh.

Did I mention that there were 1100 people at this convention. I knew only Trevor. So most of the time I did a lot of "people watching". That's what I call it when I scan the room and pick out people and in my head make comments like: Nice outfit. That hairdo looks terrible on her. I can't believe she wore that to this kind of a meeting. Wow! He's handsome. Sad, I know - but that's me and I love to "people watch."

The whole weekend every event the spouses were invited to attend. So I did. They had a motivational speaker that was excellent. I even took notes. What a nerd I can be. Here are a few things I thought I'd pass along.

~A parent is only as happy as its saddest child.

~Stop multi-tasking so much. Picture a little boy talking to his Daddy who is reading the newspaper. "Daddy, you need to listen to me with your eyes, not just your ears."

~Little changes make big differences.

~Manage the effects of stress. Many of us have the same stresses in our lives. It's how we manage them that makes the difference.

~Sources of work/family conflict: when colleagues fail to honor family life, and/or, when your family fails to honor the work place

~Even a sideways glance can pierce the heart of a child.

~Believe in yourself, Believe in each other.

~Be generous, Be gracious

~Make each kid feel like they're your favorite. (loved that comment)

Of course there was much more, but I know it all sounded better coming from him and hearing him explain it in his own words.

The last night for entertainment they had "the dueling piano guys". What a riot! These guys were so funny and amazing. I bet they played over a hundred songs. They never took a break and they played pretty much non-stop for 3 1/2 hours. Yes, I admit. There was drinking involved. But not to a drunken stooper mess. Trevor and I don't drink to get drunk. That's a commitment we have to each other. And we stick to it.

Next year they're moving the convention to Orlando, FL. Yay! Warm weather! Trevor has already this year qualified in sales #'s for that trip and hoping to qualify in the Elite level as well, which is a 5 day cruise.

I didn't get any shopping in, which was fine. We were busy most of the time with different meetings to attend and during our breaks we hung out in our room and took some good naps. Yes - just naps!

It was a fun and enjoyable weekend. I was so proud of Trevor and all that he has done.

Oh, by the way. When we returned home we had a big surprise waiting for us. You'll just have to check back tomorrow to see what we found. I don't have a picture of it yet, but you'll want to see one (I think).

3 comments:

Susan said...

So glad your back and had such a grand time. Hats off to Trevor he sound as grand as you.

Susan

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Gotta love the perks to that job! I know that salesmen work VERY hard so a trip is a great incentive. You two look fabulous.

I love that you people watched! I would be doing the same thing. While my husband was trying to listen and draw something meaningful out of it all I'd be poking him saying, "can you believe she's wearing those shoes with that dress?"

Teresa said...

Sounds like a fun time together for you and Trevor. I love the perks of sales jobs. Robb is working toward a trip to Hawaii in 2009 with his seed business. Yea!
I am also a people watcher....love to see what people are wearing, how they are acting, etc.
Can't wait to see what your surprise is....good way to get people to keep reading your blog! Clever Amy!