Saturday, February 3

I Need Some Advice - Please!

How do you stop your children from putting clean clothes in the "dirty clothes basket?" I know they only do it so they don't have to hang them up or put them away. At least that's why I did it as a kid.
The other day Nikia came downstairs with a new outfit on I had just recently bought her. I told her that she would have to take it off and put something different on. So, today when I was doing laundry where do you think I found that outfit? Exactly. In her "dirty clothes basket." Brand new. Never worn. Not a spot on it.

Kale does it too. I find clean clothes in his basket all the time. I have explained to them that it just makes more work for mommy. I have even explained to them that it costs money every time I wash a load of clothes. For a while I told Kale that for every piece of clean clothes I found in his basket he would owe me 10 cents. This worked until I practically drained his piggy bank.

Does anybody have a good solution for this? I don't get a thrill out of doing laundry to begin with. And especially not if the clothes are already clean. Yes, I know my children are young, but I believe in teaching good habits at a young age.

4 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Here's a suggestion, be beware that it will be difficult for you too.

Let them know that you DON'T want them to do it and they need to stop. Then each time you find 'clean' clothes in their laundry basket take them, fold them up and do not return them. Keep a basket out of their reach/sight and keep collecting the clean items until they eventually come looking for them.

To get the clothes back they'll need to cough up some allowance ($.25) a piece or something.

Just an idea.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just try to lighten up a little! Geez what are you, a prison guard or something? They're only kids.
Robb

~ Amy ~ said...

Ha Ha! Bite Me, Robb. I dont want them to turn out like you, do I.

Teresa, how do you do it?

Teresa said...

Sorry Amy! I thought I told him to stay away from my blogger friends! I'll try to keep a closer eye on him.
:)