Wednesday, February 28

A Mountain of Snow



Over the weekend we received 10 inches of snow which made for a weekend of total outdoor fun for the kids. When Trevor cleared the driveway he made a HUGE mountain of snow for the kids to play on, slide down, and to dig through.


My niece and nephew and a friend of theirs came over and joined in the fun as well. They made a big ol' tunnel, threw snow balls and pulled the sled around. Needless to say - fun was had by all of the kids.
I did venture out for a while and even took a ride around the yard on the sled. It was fun to listen to the constant laughter, giggles, and excitement the kids all had.
I know I complain about the cold weather alot, and for good reason. I just don't like the cold. It makes me chilly. It makes me shiver. Brrrr. Just talking about it gives me goosebumps. Yes, I have good winter clothing. Any South Dakotan does. It's just packed away somewhere. I don't mind the snow - it's the cold I don't like. If we could have snow and warm weather (55 degrees or warmer) well, I'd be all for that. I love the snowmen, the snow angels, and the tracks the kids leave behind on their walk down the driveway to the bus. I love the look of the trees when they're holding a big pile on each branch. I love the moisture it brings to the fields for the farmer's crops. And I love a good snowball fight.
This is the view I have from my kitchen window. Kind of pretty, huh!

I'll try to quit complaining so much about the bitter cold. I guess things could be worse - I could live in Alaska.

9 comments:

Just Mom said...

Holy snow hill!

Lori said...

That is a huge snow hill!!
I remember my dad (I grew up on a farm)would always make those big snow hills too. My siblings and I would have a blast sledding down the hills.

The picture out your kitchen window is pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Tracy said...

We could sure live in ARIZONA though! HA!! We go to Phoenix every year and every time I am there...I want to live there. I always wonder WHY I live in South Dakota? Oh-and I live in Madison, NOT Milbank! (Although nothing against Milbank Kerrie) So I don't think we'd ever play you in sports...I don't think!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

AWESOME.

~ Amy ~ said...

My bad, I know you live in Madison and that's what I meant. Yes, you do play us (Hamlin). So my support to the DAWGS is still temporary :)

Tracy said...

lol...okay, I will leave it at that. Hey, maybe someday we'll see each other at a game!! :)

Anonymous said...

That picture from your kitchen is gorgeous! I can't even imagine a hill that big. Our kids always loved a four foot hill at the end of our driveway. Whoever heard of a mountain in your yard???

Susan said...

Looks like loads of fun for the kids. I can't imagine snow like that. I've never lived where there has been a lot of snow. We get some here but it melts in a day or two. Hate to be a kill joy and tell you this but my husband has been busy this week rototilling his garden spot and getting ready to plant a few things as spring is just around the corner for us. It will be for you soon too. Hang in there.

The picture from your kitchen is so serene. I love fresh snow and how it looks. The ice storm we did have here in January made all the trees just glisten like ice sickles. Very beautiful.

Diana said...

Wow, more pictures of snow. ok, now I am starting to get jealous, we never get snow in Katy, TX, I don't think we ever will. Love the post with the snow finger, I was cracking up!!! Thanks for the laughs!