Tuesday, February 6

The In-Laws Are Coming!!

Yes they are. So what am I doing sitting here in front of my computer? I should be cleaning like a mad woman. Making sure every little corner is dust bunny and cob web free. Trying to get the house in top shape. Cleaning old left overs out of the fridge. Making sure the kid's rooms look perfect. No rings in the toilet bowel and a clean mopping to the floors.

But yet I still sit here. I guess I've come to the point that yes, I like a clean house and all that, but on the other hand I think it is ridiculous to make it look like it's not lived in just to impress someone. I have a cousin that is someone whom I admire a bunch. When we go to her house, it's obvious that she wasn't running around in a frenzy cleaning to make it spotless. She and her husband are the best host and hostess ever. They make you feel so welcomed and you always have the time of your life at their home. Not because of how clean the house was but because of who they are and how "real" they are. I feel comfortable there and not like my kids need to be on pins and needles as not to mess anything up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because company is coming I don't want to put on a show of something that we're not. I want our home to reflect who we are and that we do live in this house. It doesn't have to be spotless or perfectly neat and in order. We are a regular family and there are a few dust bunnies that probably live here somewhere. There is no reason to stress over stuff like that. Just doing something to make a good impression isn't worth it. Whoever I think am trying to impress will eventually see the real me anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I will do some cleaning but not just to make it look like my home is always perfect. I hope to relax and just enjoy the company - even if it is my in-laws.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

I totally agree Amy! It took me years to come to this conclusion and I am still working on it! I am more comfortable in homes that looked lived in too. With three little kids it would be crazy for people to think that my house is clean all the time...it definitely isn't! I try to keep it neat but am learning not to freak out if someone stops by and it is not perfectly clean. Thanks for the reminder and enjoy the time with the in-laws!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

It depends alot on the in-laws. I guess I can be comfortable with certain people seeing my house "al naturale" but others not so much. I am sure that no explanation is necessary here.

shannon said...

I don't know, Teresa's house is always clean every time I've seen it! . . . Where are your in-laws from? I hope you have alot of fun with the extended fam! I missed a couple days on your blog, you've been busy! It's fun to read. I'm impressed with Trevor's cold weather manners, what a guy to come back to read the meter. :-) Is Kale playing BBall now?

Susan said...

This is the 4th comment I have tried to send you and I don't think any of them have gotten posted.

Thank you for your comments to my blog and I really want to share with you my comments about SD and also to find out where Hazel is located. I looked in my atlas but couldn't find it.

Momma Roar said...

I like the quote: If you're coming to see us, stop on in. If you're coming to see the house, call ahead!

I like your site!