Monday, March 19

An Email I Received....(It's long but good)

Spoiled Brats

The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right? The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the president. In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. So, being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, ''What are we so unhappy about?'' Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter? Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job? Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year? Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state? Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter? I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough.

Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital. Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings. Or if,while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bulletproof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers. How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S., yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation during the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad? Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day.

Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig. So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans?

Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way...... Insane! Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

WE ARE THE MOST BLESSED PEOPLE ON EARTH, WE SHOULD THANK GOD SEVERAL TIMES PER DAY.....

14 comments:

Heather K said...

YES! Awesome article--I agree... we love your president... I think we're more in touch with your president than with our prime minister...sad to say.... anyway thanks for sharing!
Heather

Lori said...

That is an awesome article. It is so true. We are so blessed, we should be thanking God several times a day; instead of complaining.
Great post!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Good post Amy.

Jamie said...

Hi - I found your blog through Tracy so it is nice to meet you!

That was a great post and I agree with you 100%. We live in the best country in the world and we have to learn to live with the good and the bad instead of complaining all day about it. I also agree that the media is to blame for the bad press or so called news that some strive for and for what is thrown at the rest of us!

Tracy said...

I have personally watched my husband go to war and leave us for 15 months. Do I agree with the war...yes...but it's time to be done. Our troops have done WONDERFUL things overseas but I certainly don't want to see my husband go again. My opinion...

Momma Roar said...

I get so frustrated with the news and their slants. I live in PA - do you remember the Amish school shooting last Fall? That happened 40 minutes from my home. Where are the news reporters now when they could be reporting on the amazing stories of the survivors? One of the girls was shot through the head, blinded, and doctors warned she'd never be the same again. Today the 10-year-old Amish school-shooting victim is back at school, running around at recess and doesn't even need eyeglasses.
Why isn't that story in the headlines?
Great post!

~ Amy ~ said...

Momma Roar: I remember sitting in front of my tv watching CNN with tears running down my cheeks as that story unfolded. It's so good to know just how well she is doing. I really hope the other families are doing well too. I couldn't even imagine going through such a thing.

Just Mom said...

Fantastic post, Amy. Thanks for sharing the e-mail.

As a former reporter, let me say yes, media too often focus on the negative. The unfortunate reality is that it does sell. The off-the-newstand sales of even the small town newspaper I wrote for would skyrocket when something sensational was reported, versus just the everyday city government news. Sales don't increase as much as some might think even when a high school sports team does well in a competition.

The reality is that people crave to read about something new. Most days, fortunately for us living in the U.S., are very good, which means the bad news will always get top billing. Does this mean I support that? No way.

A couple of years ago, when Tracy's husband's Guard unit was in Iraq, the state newspaper association held a convention, to which a representative from the national Associated Press was a guest speaker. Many reporters asked her why the only stories the national AP was sending were stories about one roadside bombing after another, when many soldiers who were returning home for a two week leave were telling reporters in their home towns about the amazing things the military was doing in Iraq. Her response was the roadside bombings were more timely. I suspect it also has to do with the fact that media (especially broadcast) are so obsessed with being the first with the news that they have no choice but to report mainly on the negative. Also, media organizations are businesses, which means they make cuts when revenue is bad. Those cuts mean fewer resources (i.e. reporters/photographers/cameramen and -women). That means those reporters who are fortunate to keep their jobs don't have time to write about the good things that are happening. This also applies to news that happens in the U.S.

I wish I had an answer to the negativism in the U.S. I totally agree that we, as a nation, behave like spoiled brats. But I wouldn't only blame the media.

~ Amy ~ said...

Just Mom: I totally agree. I don't blame just the media at all. We all individually in the end make our own decisions on what we believe.

Just Mom said...

I should have just said what you just did. If I ever write that book I've been meaning to write, will you be my editor? :-)

kristi at everyday woman said...

Robb and Teresa showed me your blog recently and I've enjoyed reading it the past couple of days. I feel like I'm finally getting to check in and see how you are doing! I think this is a great post. I do think that those who are in leadership positions and in the media have a responsibility because of their ability to influence others. We all have a responsibility to filter what we believe, but if those who are in positions of influence aren't responsible for what they put out there, we will have a nation only focuses on what sells, not facts. In the end I fear the media will be their own worst enemy and the public will soon learn that it is not the place to go for the truth in anything. I just hope that by that time, we are a people who still cares about knowing the truth.

Momma Roar said...

I couldn't believe that horrific event happened either - I'll have to save that as a post idea - to update people on that situation.

Thanks :)

Diana said...

Wow! You go! I am glad there are people like you out there to speak their minds. I am not very good at it, its not because I don't care but I am I guess a big chicken! I love to hear other people's opinion and I think you know how to grab people's attention. Its true what you are saying and what is said that people model that spoiled behavior over the children and the curse continues. Hopefully we can model and set a humble example to our children and the next generation to come.

Unknown said...

Well said! This is my first time to your blog and I can see we have many of the same opinions! We are a bunch of spoiled brats here in America! I have lived in foreign lands and came back here so much more appreciative!

I linked here from my sister's blog - The Jungle Hut.